Innovative, effective and sustainable products
Richard Wright, Platform Director, R&D Discover
I believe we are further ahead and more in touch with the leading-edge thinkers in academia. We are fantastic multidisciplinary workers, which means I get to work with truly leading Physicists, Chemists and Biologists.
A career in Research & Development (R&D) at Unilever is like no other. We use in-depth consumer understanding and expertise in science and technology to create innovative, effective and sustainable products.
And thanks to Unilever’s broad portfolio, a career in R&D can see you working across multiple categories and geographies. For instance, a technology that helps us to reduce calories in ice cream might also be used to reduce fats used in toilet soaps. And we’d roll out an innovation like this across the globe.
You could also find yourself working with our external partners. Open Innovation today makes up 60% of our innovation pipeline.
We employ more than 6,000 R&D professionals globally and offer unrivalled career diversity and progression.
R&D is structured to support the key innovation areas:
Discover delivers functional benefits through new product technology
Design creates winning products, packages and claims
Deploy implements mixes for local markets.
We also have functional capabilities to accelerate, protect and differentiate our innovations:
- Safety and Environmental Assurance Centre
- Information and Technology Management
- Regulatory Affairs
- Open Innovation.
Some of our latest innovations
- Lifebuoy clini-care10 is a soap that delivers ten times better germ protection than other leading products
- Dove Damage Therapy shampoo contains fibre actives which actually penetrate the hair fibre and repair it from within
- Magnum Infinity delivers longer-lasting pleasure using cocoa nib inclusions from an exclusive cocoa bean in Tanzania